Skip to main content
What are my responsibilities as an HSA account holder?
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- What are my responsibilities as an HSA account holder?
- Your HSA belongs to you. You’re responsible for maintaining the account. Here’s what is expected of you as an HSA holder:
- Ensure that you have an HSA-qualified HDHP
- Ensure that contributions do not exceed your applicable annual IRS maximum
- Ensure that withdrawals for non-qualified expenses are added back to gross income
- Keep all records that support withdrawals from your account.
- Complete the required tax form (Form 8889) and attach it to Form 1040
- Ensure that you do not have any medical coverage that will disqualify the HSA including a general purpose FSA
- Ensure that you cannot be claimed as someone else’s tax dependent